“I really want to try CEFALY, but I’m not sure I can afford it.”
We hear comments like this all the time. And we understand! Migraine can be an expensive condition to treat, especially when you have multiple types of treatments in your migraine toolkit.
Here’s the good news: People who try CEFALY find that it’s well worth the cost. CEFALY’s benefits have been clinically proven in multiple clinical studies:
- Patients who treat daily with CEFALY have seen a 50% or greater reduction of monthly migraine attacks.
- Patients saw, on average, a 59% reduction in migraine pain intensity following one hour of treatment.
- 43% of CEFALY users reported resolution of all migraine symptoms following two hours of treatment.
Hesitating to buy CEFALY because of the cost? Remember: You can always try CEFALY risk free for 90 days. Return the device within that window if you’re not happy with your results.
The cost of making CEFALY
People sometimes ask us: “Why is CEFALY so expensive?” It costs a lot to engineer, manufacture and support CEFALY. Factors affecting the cost of CEFALY include:
Research and development: The first CEFALY device was introduced in 2008. Since then, we’ve never stopped working to make CEFALY even more effective for migraine pain relief and prevention. The cost of CEFALY reflects our efforts to develop and test new iterations of the device.
Design: You may have seen cheap TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) devices that claim to relieve general pain, including headache pain. CEFALY is different. It’s a precision-made medical device that’s specifically designed to target the trigeminal nerve, the primary pathway for migraine pain. CEFALY has been proven to work in multiple advanced clinical studies.
Quality: CEFALY is designed to be used daily (with the PREVENT mode) as well as at the first sign of a migraine attack (with the ACUTE mode). For this reason, we designed CEFALY to be durable and dependable, with a long battery life and tough construction. As a promise of quality, every CEFALY device includes a 3-year limited warranty.
Electrodes: CEFALY requires conductive gel electrodes to work, which need to be replaced regularly.
We do our best to keep costs low for our customers. CEFALY doesn’t require a prescription or a subscription plan. The CeCe Migraine Management app, which syncs with CEFALY Connected and can also be used on its own, is completely free. Get the CeCe app.
People sometimes ask us to give them a device for free, which unfortunately we’re not able to do. The sale of CEFALY devices is essential to our business — when you buy CEFALY, you’re supporting ongoing research, development, and testing.
The cost of CEFALY vs. other migraine therapies
Once you purchase CEFALY, your only ongoing cost is replacement electrodes. These cost $25 for a standard 3-pack or $33 for a hypoallergenic 3-pack (with 5% savings when you sign up for auto-delivery). The number of electrodes you need depends on how often you use CEFALY, the type of electrode, and how the electrodes are stored. In general, you can expect to spend $300 to $450 on electrodes per year.
Prescription migraine treatment devices have annual costs of $300 to more than $7,000 per year, our analysis has shown. Prescription migraine medications, if not covered by insurance, can cost $4,500 to $7,200 per year.
Does insurance cover CEFALY?
Unfortunately, insurance plans do not cover CEFALY. While we’re hopeful that CEFALY insurance coverage will be offered in the future, we have no control over what insurance companies choose to cover.
Insurance barriers to migraine treatment are common, sadly. It often takes years of advocacy work by doctors and patients to convince insurance companies, or Medicare, to cover migraine treatments that are proven to work. Learn more from CHAMP’s page: Resources for Overcoming Migraine Treatment Insurance Barriers.
8 ways to save money on CEFALY
- Sign up for emails or text alerts. Looking for CEFALY coupon codes and discounts? Our email/SMS subscribers are the first to know! Join our email list. (Scroll down to subscribe.)
- Follow CEFALY on social media. We occasionally offer device giveaways, which we advertise on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Use your HSA/FSA dollars. CEFALY is an eligible medical expense for health savings accounts (HSAs) and flexible spending accounts (FSAs). If you have one of these accounts through a health insurance plan, you can use pre-tax dollars to purchase CEFALY and/or CEFALY electrodes.
- Pay over time with Affirm or PayPal Credit.
We offer two low- or no-interest financing options. PayPal Credit is an open-end (revolving) credit card account that lets you pay for CEFALY over time, with no interest if you pay in full within 6 months. To use PayPal Credit, check out using PayPal and select PayPal Credit as your payment method.
Affirm lets you choose the payment option that works for you and your budget, from interest-free payments every 2 weeks to monthly installments. Learn more about payment options.
- Trade in your old CEFALY device. Do you have an older CEFALY model? If you live in the U.S. or Canada, you can trade it in for credit — even if it no longer works. Then, you earn a discount on CEFALY Connected, the latest advance in migraine treatment and prevention technology. See the discount you can earn for your old device.
- Purchase a CEFALY device + electrodes bundle. You can save money by purchasing CEFALY with 18 standard electrodes — all you need for several months of treatments. Learn more about the bundle.
- Get a CEFALY electrode subscription. Save 5% on electrodes and get free shipping when you sign up for auto-delivery. Choose your preferred electrodes and your delivery frequency: every 30, 60 or 90 days. Reorder electrodes.
- Handle electrodes with care. When you take good care of your CEFALY electrodes, they last longer, which saves you money! Always handle electrodes by the edges and with clean hands. Don’t let them dry out; as soon as a treatment session is done, place the electrode on its backing and seal it in the storage pouch. Learn how to handle electrodes in this video.
Access to CEFALY for veterans and military service members
Are you a United States veteran? CEFALY and electrodes are 100% covered by VA healthcare benefits. Make an appointment with your VA healthcare provider or neurologist and explain that you’re interested in trying CEFALY. They’ll send a consult to the prosthetics department to order your CEFALY. Learn more about getting CEFALY through the VA.
CEFALY is partnering with the Green Beret Foundation to provide devices to eligible Active Duty Green Berets and eligible family members of current and former Green Berets. For more information, please submit a request for support through the foundation.
Try CEFALY today
CEFALY is a unique, FDA-cleared, non-invasive migraine treatment. CEFALY attaches to an electrode worn on the forehead and sends tiny electrical impulses to the trigeminal nerve. This neurostimulation treatment helps relieve pain during a migraine attack and reduces the frequency of attacks over time.